MINI MUSCLE UP PROGRAM – by Jess Coughlan
Complete days 1, 2, 3 over week one and days 4, 5, 6 over week two – at least one day’s rest in between each session. A session should only take around 20 minutes. Complete this two week cycle four times then perform a re-test of your strict pull-ups and dips. If you can hit the required numbers (min 8 strict pullups in a row and 5 strict ring dips in a row) then choose a day later in the week to test a muscle up – if possible have a coach/trainer with you for a “spot.” Limit the number of attempts and let me know how you go!
Remember everything is scalable – use light resistance bands if required for strict movements, hopefully by the end of the 8 weeks these will be unnecessary!!
Due to all the swinging and shoulder work try in this mini muscle up program, and incorporate some light stretching and rotator cuff work before each session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zrj3Y4P_eQ
- 8 min EMOM: Kipping practice on rings (3-5 swings) or even to start with just work on holding a false grip on the rings (15-20 sec each minute). Focus: maintaining a false grip, working on high hips with a tight body throughout.
- 5 sets with 2 min rest: Max strict pull-ups (-2)* * 2 reps less than max/fail – scale with a band if necessary.
- Tabata hollow hold (start with reverse tabata if this is too much)
- 8 min EMOM: # strict ring dips (choose a number which is tough but can be maintained across the 8 minutes) – scale with a band if necessary.
- 5min banded transition work. Focus: starting low, high hips and explosive throw of the shoulders. Dip out of the transition, kip if you’d like, this will be tough as your body will be low in the dip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbEUM6KQNzg
- 4 x max reps strict C2B (rest as needed) scale to strict pull-ups or with a band if necessary.
- 20 sec on, 40 sec off static ring hold. Focus: think about locking the rings into your sides and consciously activating your core.
- 4 x max reps strict ring dips (-2) – scale with a band if necessary.
- EMOM 10min: 2-5 strict pull-ups on rings. Focus: head above hands and pulling elbows down to your sides (i.e. rings are not facing inwards). Think about squeezing the muscles in your back and attempting to hold that squeeze for 2 sec each time. If you cannot get up to the rings pull as far as you can in a strict motion.
- Incline muscle up work (5 mins): start as if performing a ring row and imitate the technique of a muscle up. Focus: a strong pull and transition. Scale your incline as needed.
- EMOM 8min: # strict ring dips. Choose a number which is tough but achievable across the 8 minutes. Even if it’s only one – quality reps over quantity!!
- Negative muscle up work – 10-12 reps, rest as needed to ensure every rep is slow and controlled. Start at the top of the rings and slowly lower down through a reverse muscle up. Focus: SLOW and CONTROLLED.
- False grip hanging practice (accumulate 3 mins)
- EMOM 8 min: #strict pull-ups
- EMOM 8 min: #strict ring dips with a 1 second pause at the bottom of each rep. This will essentially halve the amount you would normally be able to do.
- Jumping muscle up practice (5 minutes): Focus on “feeling” the motion of a muscle up. Keep the rings at a moderate height that you can jump from the ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsXIxIqpL4